Work Permits

International students can apply for the following work permits:

Off-Campus Work Permit Program

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

  • during regular academic sessions and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

For more information please visit CIC’s webpage here or contact our administrative staff at the front desk.

Post Graduation Work Program

  • Do not work without being authorized to do so. If you do, you will be in contravention of the law and may be asked to leave Canada. Citizenship & Immigration Canada recently announced a change that will allow students the opportunity to work up to three years after graduation without having to get a job offer and students are not required to get a job in their field of study. Students must not begin to work until they have received their work permit. Read the detail on the CIC web site.
  • International Students who have successfully completed their post-secondary or graduate certificate program have the opportunity to work in Canada for a maximum of three years or the length of their program (which ever is less). The fee for the work permit is $155. Students usually have 90 days after graduation to apply for a work permit. See the announcement by CIC.
  • We recommend all students plan to take advantage of this North American work experience opportunity. Getting a job offer is a difficult challenge students must plan for soon after their arrival. Good marks, student participation, good communication skills, a good resume and an ability to establish rapport and carry on a casual conversation is important in securing a job offer.

Social Insurance Number (SIN#)

In order to work in Canada you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Apply early for the SIN when you begin a job. It can take up to 5 – 6 weeks to issue a SIN, and until you have this number, an employer cannot pay you.

How to Apply
Please click here for more information.