Study Permits

Immigration regulations you must understand if you want to study in Canada

Students usually have two documents issued by Canadian Immigration:

  • Study Permit
    Gives student permission to undertake academic study in Canada. Required for students in programs that are longer than six (6) months in duration.
  • Temporary Resident Visa
    Gives student permission to enter Canada. Not required by all nationalities. A full listing of which countries require entry visas is listed on the Canada Immigration website.

First-time Study Permit Applicants

  • For students who will be applying for their documents for the first time, they will need to apply to the local Canadian Embassy or Consulate, outside Canada. There is also an online full listing of Canadian Consulates and Embassies abroad.
  • Students applying for a new permit will need to submit a copy of their St. Lawrence College acceptance letter and proof of financial support for at least one year of academic study (approximately $20,000). A full outline of what is required for a Study Permit is available online.

Extending Study Permits

  • Applications for extensions of Study Permits are applied for within Canada, to Vegreville, Alberta. Students whose study permit will be expiring are recommended to apply to extend their document 60 to 90 days in advance.
  • Students will be required to show proof of their status at St. Lawrence College, proof of their status in Canada and proof of financial support for at least one year of academic study (approximately $20,000). A full document checklist is available with the application package.
  • full application package can be downloaded from the Immigration website.
  • Students should not leave Canada while their Study Permit extension is in process.
  • Once you have applied to extend your study permit, and as long as you applied prior to its expiry, you have “implied status” until the decision of your application is sent to you.
  • Please note that Canada Immigration will not extend a Study Permit past the expiry date of your Passport.

Restoration of Status

  • If you fail to apply to extend your Study Permit prior to its expiry, you have 90 days to Restore your Status and apply for the extension. Restoration of Status costs an additional $200. If you fail to renew your Study Permit within 90 days of its expiry you will have no status in Canada, and could be subject to a removal order by Canada Immigration. – you will be told to LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.
  • Please be sure to check the dates on your documents and apply for extensions within adequate time.

Changing Institutions & Study Permits

  • Effective June 1, 2014, if you apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study.If you are thinking about changing your institution or your program, you need to ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit, as well as the conditions that allow you to work, should you wish to work during your studies.

    More information about this policy change can be found on the immigration website.

General Tips

  • Keep copies of all your important documents in a separate location from the originals.
  • When submitting documents to immigration, keep a copy of your full application package.
  • Send your application via courier, and record the confirmation number in a safe place.

Immigration Resources

Citizenship & Immigration Canada
Immigration Information Call Centre: 1-888-242-2100