Refund Policy for International Students
St. Lawrence College @ Alpha International Academy encourages all International students to carefully choose their program of studies before selecting and making any payments to St. Lawrence College @ Alpha International Academy. If students have questions regarding this refund policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Lawrence College’s International student refund policy has been developed in compliance with the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development’s (MAESD) Policy on Tuition and Ancillary Fees and the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Study Permit guidelines.
For payments made outside of Canada, please note that if a refund is required, the funds will be returned to the originating source (i.e. person making the payment). Therefore, it is advisable for students not to make payments through an Agent for this reason.
STUDENTS WHO DO NOT RECEIVE A VISA OR MEET PREREQUISITES
St. Lawrence College will provide a refund of any prepaid tuition (less a $150 refund processing fee) if the applicant is denied a student visa under the condition that the applicant provides St. Lawrence College’s International Education Office an authentic visa denial letter issued by the Canadian High Commission within the first ten (10) days of the applicant’s first semester. Provided such visa denial letter is deemed to be genuine and accurate by Alpha International Academy’s admissions officers, the applicant will receive a refund of prepaid tuition fees, less the $150 refund processing fee.
If a student does not meet the conditions of acceptance, the non-refundable amount will be $150. Students must provide evidence* of failure to meet the conditions of acceptance. For example, if a student doesn’t meet the IELTS requirement, the student must provide the IELTS test results.
A written request for withdrawal will only be accepted from students who have not yet entered Canada or received a valid study permit allowing entry into Canada. The written request must be sent to email@example.com
STUDENTS WHO WISH TO TRANSFER TO ANOTHER INSTITUTION
International students who complete the full withdrawal process within the first 10 days of the beginning of the term are entitled to a refund of tuition and ancillary fees less the non-refundable portion. The refundable portion of tuition and ancillary fees is calculated in accordance with the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development’s Policy on Tuition and Ancillary Fees. If a request for transfer is not completed within the timeline, no refund of semester fees will be issued.
To verify the identity of the student and to safeguard prepaid monies deposited by students, all international students must request a transfer and refund IN PERSON at Alpha International Academy. E-mail requests will not be processed.
Please note: due to past instances of fraudulent letters, St. Lawrence College @ Alpha International Academy will require two days to confirm the validity of the letter from the receiving institution. In order to ensure completion of the request for transfer, including verification of letters from the receiving institution, appointments must be completed, including all documentation within the first 8 days of the international student’s first semester. Appointments can be made by contacting our student services team at firstname.lastname@example.org
**Students must make an appointment to complete their transfer. If students show up without an appointment, their request for refund will not be processed. **
Students who request a transfer to another institution must meet the following criteria:
- Meet the transfer deadline.
- Apply in person at the Alpha International Academy campus.
- Complete all of the refund documents provided.
- Provide a valid letter from the receiving institution (must be an approved Designated Learning Institution) indicating start date and program of studies. Program must be for the same semester as accepted to attend at St. Lawrence College @ Alpha International Academy. As stated above, we will require two days to confirm the validity of the letter from the receiving institution.
- Students transferring to the province of Quebec must provide a valid Certification of Acceptance for Quebec (CAQ), along with the Letter of Acceptance for the approved Designated Learning Institution.
- Provide proof of full tuition payment for first semester of studies (official receipt) made to the receiving institution. A receipt for an application deposit or down payment will not be accepted.
- Provide a copy of their passport.
- Provide a copy of valid study permit
STUDENTS WHO WITHDRAW
Students that have entered Canada on a study permit must remain enrolled as students. If a student is not intending to study as a full-time student, they must return to their home country.
Students who withdraw and return home must submit the withdrawal application documents including, a copy of their passport and valid study permit, flight ticket and re-entry stamp upon return to home country.
RETURN OF TUITION AND ANCILLARY FEES
The non-refundable portion of tuition and ancillary fees (normally $2,350) will be withheld by St. Lawrence College @ Alpha International Academy for students who transfer or withdraw.
In accordance with industry best practices and to abide by the Government of Canada’s guidelines, Alpha International Academy will only return funds to the original payer and payer account. The funds will not be transferred to another institution.
- Any wire transfer fees or other bank charges associated with returning the funds will be subtracted from the amount returned.
- Alpha International Academy will require between 60 and 90 days to complete the return of funds once Alpha International Academy has received all documentation required to support the refund request.
- St. Lawrence College @ Alpha International Academy bears no responsibility for funds that do not reach their destination due to inaccurate or obsolete financial information provided by the student. Applicants/students are responsible for all banking and foreign exchange charges associated with their payment/refund.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada will be notified of the student’s withdrawal or transfer from the College.