Dear Alpha International Academy Students,
As of January 28th 2020, there have been 4593 globally confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has been reported by the World Health Organization. Patients that are infected with the 2019-nCoV infection exhibit symptoms of the flu-like symptoms such as headaches, drowsiness, cough, shortness of breath, and a lack of energy. In about 20% of those infected, there are more severe symptoms such as pneumonia, respiratory failure, kidney failure and severe acute respiratory syndrome.
The majority of those affected by 2019-nCoV are located in mainland China, though several cases have been reported and confirmed here in Canada. The current level of risk to Canada is considered to be low to extremely low. However, out of an abundance of caution, our leadership team is monitoring the situation very closely. We do not wish to cause you concern, but to share information, resources, and precautions that we are taking given potential adverse developments.
Facts about the 2019-nCoV
1) The 2019-nCoV virus has an incubation period (the time from contracting this virus and showing symptoms) is between two and fourteen days.
2) The virus was initially spread from animals to humans; however, most recently recorded cases are from person to person by droplets through coughing.
3) People with underlying illnesses are particularly at risk, including those with diabetes, chronic lung disease, pre-existing kidney failure and people with weak and suppressed immune systems may be at higher risk.
4) There is currently no specific treatment for people who are sick with 2019-nCoV but early diagnosis and general supportive medical care in a hospital can be life saving.
How you can protect yourself from the 2019-nCoV?
1) Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
2) When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw tissue away immediately and wash hands;
3) Disinfect high-touch surfaces with sprays/wipes (such as “Lysol” brand) and leave on surface for 10 minutes to kill 99.9% of bacteria/viruses. Don’t forget to wipe down your cellphone as it also contains alot of bacteria and microbes.
4) Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough;
5) If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your healthcare provider;
6) When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals;
7) Take care of yourself by getting plenty of rest, staying hydrated, choosing nutritious immune-boosting foods, and exercising.
8) The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.
What to do if you feel sick with flu-like symptoms:
1) Immediately contact any of our front desk representatives
2) Tell the front desk representative if you’ve traveled outside Canada within the last 14 days.
3) Do not ignore your symptoms
4) Do not just stay at home trying to “sleep it off”
5) Cover your mouth and nose with a mask
6) Contact your doctor or healthcare professional
7) Do not attempt to go to public places (i.e. concerts, restaurants, movie theatres)
– Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) advice for the public from the World Health Organization
– Information and Prevention and Safety Tips from the Center for Disease Control (CDC)
– China Travel Advisory from the U.S. Department of State
– Canada Health for the latest on the Coronavirus news.
As this is an evolving situation, Alpha International Academy will continue to monitor developments and will provide updates as needed. Currently, there are no cases of this virus in our community. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact or email our front desk.
3405 Kennedy Road, Toronto, ON, M1V 4Y3, CANADA
© 2019 All rights reserved - Designed by Alpha International Academy